May 21, 2009

Shameless plug, part 2

Friends and family and loved ones of the Dojo (particularly those of you who are Methodist...or Methodist-friendly!),

Would you all be willing and/or able to circulate the following notice to the Pastors in your District as well as any other Districts you have contacts in? I really need grassroots support and don't know of any other way than people contacting others (which I've been doing all day today here at Panera...mmm...Sierra Turkey...aaaaagghhhh...).

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------


To those who serve God in the often-thankless role of Pastor,

My name is James-Michael Smith and I served as the Pastor of Discipleship at Good Shepherd UMC for the past 5 years. I'm also a part time speaker at CharlotteONE:, a city-wide ministry that targets young professionals here in Charlotte. I'm a UMC PK as well--my father, Jim Smith, serves in the South GA Conference at Americus First UMC.

I wanted to let you know about some work I've been doing with the goal of Discipling as well as reaching out to the 18-35 year old young adult demographic. I've been writing for the Examiner, and online op-ed newspaper, in the role of Charlotte Methodist Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/x-8276-Charlotte-Methodist-Examiner). My articles are short and meant to be intellectually challenging, but accessible by anyone, and are on a variety of topics.

I was hoping you'd be willing to take a look at some of them and help me spread the word throughout your conference and district. I've stepped down from my position at GSUMC in order to pursue writing/teaching/speaking as well as Th.M and/or Ph.D studies in the near future. So any exposure I can generate through my Examiner articles is a huge help in the meantime--hopefully not just for me, but also for the UMC!

Thanks so much for any help you can give me in this. And if you know of any churches in your area who would be interested in having me come speak or teach on any of the topics I write about please don't hesitate to let me know.

Be blessed,

James-Michael Smith
Charlotte, NC
www.examiner.com/x-Charlotte-Methodist-Examiner
gsdisciple.blogspot.com

No comments:

JM's Audio Teaching Archive

Check out sermon.net/jmsmith for some of my messages and teaching sessions:

Bruce Lee quote of the day...